Below is a listing of publications from our local UC Cooperative Extension and the Agriculture and Natural Resources catalog. Click on a publication or image to view the link.
Please use Promo Code PRTUM55 if ordering online. This will insure that your funds stay within the UCCE Central Sierra.
Note: Publications are saved as pdf documents. You will need Adobe Acrobat to view them. You can download the free software at https://get.adobe.com/reader/
For the new prospective growers
Fruit Nut Grape Varieties for Home Orchards A listing of fruit, nut, and grape varieties, sorted by elevation, that will grow in the Sierra foothills.
Christmas Tree Production in the California Sierra Foothills A Brief look at the Christmas Tree Production in the Sierra Foothills.
- Christmas Tree Cost Study 2005 A sample cost study report of "choose and cut" Christmas tree farms growing Douglas Fir and White Fir trees in the Sierra Nevada Foothills, including El Dorado, Placer and Nevada Counties.
- Understanding and Managing Phytophthora Root Rot in Doug and True Firs, with Indentifying chemical and cultural management for Phytophthora A description and identification of the Phytophthora root rot disease, it's symptoms, and some ways to help manage it.
- Cover Cropping in Vineyards An introduction to vineyard cover crop management.
- Soil Moisture Measurement Technology When to irrigate and how much to achieve maximum vine performance.
- Soil Effects of Water Deficits Upon Winegrapes Irrigation control to produce high quality fruit.
- Use of Tissue Analysis in Viticulture Proceedings of Varietal Winegrape Production Short Course, March, 2005.
- Soil and Tissue Labs Listing of laboratories that perform various types of analysis.
Orchard Crop Publications
- Organic Apple Production Manual A review of the organic apple industry.
- Pear Production and Handling Manual The growth and fruit development, as well as practical considerations on pear culture.
- Integrated Pest Management for Apples & Pears, 2 edition Focuses on less invasive methods for pest management.
- 2007 Sample Costs to Establish and Produce Apples
- Controlling Codling Moth Today - Creating a Strategy for the Future
- Determining Codling Moth Sex & Mating Status
- Field Evaluation of Reduced-Risk Insecticides for Codling Moth Control in Apples: Does adding virus help?
Stone Fruit Publications
- Integrated Pest Management for Stone Fruits Focuses on less invasive methods for pest management.
- Special Spotted Wing Drosophila Update!
- Chemical Thinning of Stone Fruits Grown in the Sierra Foothills
- To view the Chemical Thinning Report click Complete CTFA Final Report
- Bird Pest Management of Fruit Grown in the Foothills Gives methods of managing bird pests in orchards of the foothills.