Fire Adapted Communities Webinar Agendas
Session One: Friday, May 25th, 2012 - Defensible space in the Tahoe Basin. View the webinar recording here.
- Why and how to create defensible space - Ed Smith, Univ. of Nevada Cooperative Ext.
- How to integrate with Best Management Practices – Mike Vollmer, Tahoe Regional Planning Agency
- How to receive a free consultation on installing BMPs on your property - Courtney Walker, Tahoe Resource Conservation District
Downloads: Living with Fire - A Guide for the Homeowner - Lake Tahoe Basin 2nd edition, Combine Defensible Space and Best Management Practices - Protect your home and Lake Tahoe, BMP Installation Service Providers List 2011, BMP Materials Resource List, TRCD Release Authorization Form 2010
Session Two: Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 - Wildfire evacuation. View the webinar recording here.
- Evacuation during a wildfire/ PRIDE – Mark Regan, North Lake Tahoe FPD
- Information needs and methods during a wildfire – Dave Zaski, North Tahoe FPD
Session Three: Wednesday, May 30th, 2012 - Conservation landscaping in Tahoe. View the webinar recording here.
- Native trees and defensible space – Susie Kocher, Univ. of California Coop. Extension
- Backyard native plants – Lesley Higgins, Nevada Tahoe Conservation District
- Learning how to garden at Lake Tahoe - Wendy West, Tahoe Basin Master Gardener program
Downloads: Home Landscaping for Fire, Combustibility of Landscape Mulches, Forest Stewardship Pamphlet Series (1-24), Backyard native plants booklet, Forestland Steward newsletter on Balancing Wildlife Needs and Fuels Management, California Master Gardener Program.
Session Four: Thursday, May 31st, 2012 - Improving home survivability during wildfire. View the webinar recording here.
- Understanding home vulnerability - Steve Quarles, Insurance Inst. for Business & Home Safety
- Implementing WUI building codes after the Angora fire – Gareth Harris, Lake Valley Tahoe Fire Protection District
Downloads: Home Survival in Wildfire-Prone Areas - Building Materials and Design Considerations, IIBHS Residential-trifold, IIBHS wildfire-checklist, UNCE-Wood_Shake_and_Shingle_Roof_Hazard, Wood Roof Info Sheet May 2012
Session Five: Friday June 1st, 2012 - Fire risk reduction and the US Forest Service. View the webinar recording here.
- Fire prevention in Lake Tahoe – Beth Brady, USFS Fire Prevention Specialist
- South Shore fuels treatments project, stewardship permit system – Kyle Jacobsen, USFS Forest Fuels Specialist
Session Six: Tuesday, June 5th, 2012 - Working with your fire departments/ neighborhood /community. View the webinar recording here.
- Working with your fire department (services, permits, calls from insurance companies, etc) – Eric Guevin, Tahoe Douglas FPD, Martin Goldberg, Lake Valley FPD
- Motivating neighbors to organize for defensible space – Glen Smith, Round Hill Nevada Fire Safe Council Chapter
Downloads: 4291 Inspection forrm